Do not assume the worst. Almost everyone gets back pain at some point. Low back pain can be scary. But even when the pain is severe, it usually goes away on its own within a few weeks. The cases that require urgent care or surgery are rare.
See your doctor or nurse if you have back pain and you:
- Recently had a fall or an injury to your back
- Have numbness or weakness in your legs
- Have problems with bladder or bowel control
- Have unexplained weight loss
- Have a fever or feel sick in other ways
- Take steroid medicine, such as prednisone, on a regular basis
- Have diabetes or a medical problem that weakens your immune system
- Have a history of cancer or osteoporosis
- You should also see a doctor if:
- Your back pain is so severe that you cannot perform simple tasks
- Your back pain does not start to improve within 4 weeks
What can I do to keep from getting back pain again?
The best thing you can do is to stay active. Doing exercises to strengthen and stretch your back can help. You can also:
- Learn to lift using your legs instead of your back
- Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for too long
Having back pain can be frustrating and scary. But it can help to know that doing these things can lower your risk of having another episode.
Setup a appointment with our distinguished doctors in this area to discuss more. Do not ignore the symptoms. Your body is your health, and we are here to help.